Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:rugby, cycling, swiming, Formula 1 racing
  • XBOX Live!:Darcnighte
  • Name:Justin Boniface

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

i am currently saving up for a new computer and have a pretty large budget of about 2,500 for parts for the tower i already have a screen
this excludes the liquid cooling system.

im looking at:

Motherboard : Nvidia nForce 680i SLI (socket 775)
CPU : Intel core 2 (quad)
Graphics cards : Nvidia Geforce 8800 Ultra Quad SLI
Memory : Corsair Twin 20X2048-10000C5DF

im not sure as to the powersupply but im looking at somewhere around 1100 watts

and a terabyte of hrd disk space

thoughts would be welcomed

Darc out
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

I currently have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard which is nForce 680i. Now while I think it is a good board there have been numerous issues with nForce 680 boards and ASUS have been either slow or have done nothing to resolve these issues. Therefore I would suggest going for an EVGA or XFX nForce 680i board as they have been quicker to resolve issues.

Personally, I would highly not recommend going for quad SLI. I would even be against going for SLI fullstop as the performance increase for two cards over one is only about 40-50% in most games and a lot less in games like Oblivion. Another reason is 8900 cards should be here within the next 6 months. Therefore I would go for one 8800Ultra and upgrade to the top 8900 card when they are available. But if SLI is route you want to go then only go 2 cards.

I assume you will be using Vista as your OS, therefore I would go 4GB of RAM. XP cannot utilise 4GB whereas Vista is very good at the job.

For your power supply 1100 watts is about right for 8800Ultra SLI.

On top of what HDDs you decide to get I would also get a Western Digital Raptor Drive for games as these drives run at 10K RPM and are great for loading times in games.

#3 PITlSF

PITlSF

Swimming with da Fishies

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:"I like to chew bubble gum then kick ass, but i'm all out of bubble gum"

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

hi darc! realy the guy u should talk 2 is DoD he gave me some great advise when i was building my PC. i have 2 8800 GTS cards in my PC and i have 700 watt power supply and its more than enough power for them. Also DoD told me of a new intell quad core proseccor that is just off the charts so u might want 2 look into that I have the latest version intel quad core and its superman fast. another thing about water cooled systems is that if u get a leak on one of the hoses.....well say goodbye 2 your new pc so i went the route of alot of fans and my inside temp of the pc is 65 degs faren. It runs very well with no problems at all . So GL with what ever u build and have fun doing it. Oh and 1 more thing is xp 64 can hold more memery if u like xp rather than vista

#4 Squid|SF

Squid|SF

Now accepting cash donations.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:37 AM

I think differently to both you Intel fanboys, I would go for a new AMD system. The Phenom 9700. http://www.tomshardw...weaves_its_web/

Add a MSI K9A2 Platinum (MS-7376) (although I would prefer the Gigabyte board), 4 AMD Radeon HD 3870's (GDDR4 and Direct X 10.1 booya)

For hard drives I suggest 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 SATAII 16MB cache.

If you want a mint sound card I suggest the SB X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty (I got one and Immediately loved the quality coming out my shitty speakers) http://au.creative.c...p;product=16559

Speakers:(If you haven't got any decent ones) Logitech G51
http://www.logitech....s...49&cl=gb,en

G15 (2007 model) Keyboard http://www.logitech....d...98&cl=gb,en

Razer Lachesis mouse http://www.razerzone...;products_id=72

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

I see no reason to get an AMD quad core CPU as the Intel equivalent performs better. Granted it may be cheaper but with Darc's budget clearly price isn't an issue.

Regarding sound cards, I would be very much against getting a Creative one as their drivers are abysmal, particularly in Vista. I have a X-Fi XtremeGamer and to this day it has never worked perfectly in my PC. I would highly recommend the 'Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1'.

http://www.auzentech...-fi_prelude.php

Regarding a mouse, I would suggest the 'Logitech G5 2007 Edition' (G7 if you prefer wireless). I had a 'Razor CopperHead' and it became faulty after a year due to their poor build quality. Many other people have had the same issue.

#6 Squid|SF

Squid|SF

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

Nice one.. Did you just look at the benchmarks and immediately think that the AMD is shit?

With SP1 for Vista your driver problems may be fixed.

I only said to get the Razer mouse because I think the Logitech mice are uglier than Zero. Razer does have a lot of problems though(been through 2 keyboards already because of their many faults. First 1 completely died, second just had numerous faults).

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

I love the way I get criticised for providing valid input.

I have read a full article on the testing of the AMD quad cores from a trusted website and the intel equivalent came out on top, and if you look at the article you provided it even concludes the AMD is 13% worse but is cheaper. Also, before you suggest i'm an Intel fanboy I just go for whats better and it so happens intel processors have been better for a while. If AMD were better I would go for them.

#8 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

thanks guys for your thoughts on this, as for the amd intel argument im going for the nforce 680i due to it's support of EPP memory for overclocking.

As for the 8900gtx im not sure as to whether or not to wait as at the moment nvidia releasing it when they have the best card out there at the moment there is no point in the release as AMD/ATI haven't got anything that comes close to the 8800 ultra yet near to release.

Darc out

further input on this would be valid

thanks
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Malone|SF

Malone|SF

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Interests:Water Skiing, Snow Skiing, Gymnastics, Racquetball, Swim, Mountain Bike, Rollerblade, Reading, Movies, Tegus<br />Homeworld, Halo 1+2, Halflife, Doom, Mechwarrior, BF 2142, Big Hair Music of all kinds.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

I'm not sure if this is just simply marketing or if there is some truth to it, but Crysis was designed to run on Intel multicore processors and Nvidia graphics cards. Truth or not, my system (Intel multicore/Nvidia graphics) is slightly under 'recommended' specs but still runs Crysis very well on 'medium' settings. As with Airwave, I have an Asus motherboard but haven't had a single problem with it. Mine is a P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Gaming.

If Crysis was designed for Intel/Nvidia, you can bet that is a sign of future development.

With the rig that Darc is contemplating, he should be able to run Crysis, Homeworld, and play music all at the same time. :D

I think it is funny and revealing that the person who is against the liquid cooling is a professional plumber. :P He probably knows more about water distribution than the rest of us combined.

Malone out.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

The capacity to learn is a gift.
The ability to learn is a skill.
The willingness to learn is a choice.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

A world is supported by four things:
The learning of the wise,
The justice of the great,
The prayers of the righteous, and
The valor of the brave.
But all these are nothing without
The ruler who knows the art of ruling.

#10 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

ti'm having the watercooling installed by a professional company with a guarentee that if the rig blows up cause of a leak they'll replace the rig

they're a distributor of koolance liquid cooling systems

Darc out

Ps more thoughts would be helpful any other idea are welcomed
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:33 PM

Well other than what has already been mentioned (which covers pretty much all areas), is there any thing you're not sure about or need advice on?

Malone - It's not unusual for a game to be designed to run better with a specific brand of graphics card, be it ATI or Nvidia. For example, HL2 will run better with an ATI card over an equivalent Nvidia card, but the difference will not be that great usually.

#12 Squid|SF

Squid|SF

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

thanks guys for your thoughts on this, as for the amd intel argument im going for the nforce 680i due to it's support of EPP memory for overclocking.

FYI Intel CPUs are horrible for overclocking.. and with your budget you won't need to overclock for atleast 2 years.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

ok im still unsure as to which os i should use as i have heard from clan members that vista has some problems with certain games, but that xp has issues with ram thoughts on this would be good.

also anyone got any good manufacturers for the powersupply.

also anyone else got any views on the seagate barracuda hddrives just for consensus.

the only other thing is the memory is it right for what im looking at or is there something better.

cheers darc
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

As with any new OS there are always bugs and issues which need ironing out. I bought Vista Ultimate 64bit back in April and there were hideous graphic card issues with Nvidia cards, so I therefore reverted back to XP. I tried Vista again this summer and have been using it since with no problems (the graphics card issue had been resolved). I'm not suggesting Vista is the way forward at the moment as XP is still the most widely support OS but like any new Windows OS, Vista will eventually become the most supported. From personal experience any games I've had issues with in Vista also occurred in XP.

If you do decide to go for Vista you also need to decide if it will be 64 or 32bit. With 32bit you are limited to 4GB RAM, which should be more than enough for the next 2-3 years. but 32bit is currently much more program/driver friendly. 64bit Vista operates heavily on digital signatures and as such small scale programs like RivaTuner don't function correctly. I personally don't find this to be too much of an issue but it can be frustating.

Regarding PSUs, Enermax seem to be one of the best around from what I've read. Sliverstone are pretty decent. I currently have a 850W Coolermaster and have no complaints with it.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 and the Sumsung SpinPoint T166 are both very good HDD.

The RAM you're looking at is top of the range DDR2 Dominator, so you're not gonna get much better than that unless you go DDR3.

#15 Zero|SF

Zero|SF

Admin, Webdesigner and Founder

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Webdesigning, Gaming, Computer Engineering, Computers in general and boobies.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

As for the AMD vs Intel arguement I would say AMD.

AMD Chipsets have had many revisions and improvements with implementations the the NVidia chipsets, Intel has not. From what i've read there are still a few bugs with Intels version of the NVidia chipset on their boards. But other than that and being an utter AMD fanboy I still choose AMD.

Also to save future confusion. AMD own most of ATI while NVidia owns the rest. AMD still has partnerships with NVidia for its chipsets and R&D but also is continually developing new ATI GPUs and also working on combined CPU and GPU technologies (CPU and Graphics on the same chip)
It's good to question authority, but not mine.
"I got that little voice in my head too mal.... it keeps saying over and over.. 'kill your friends before they kill you'" -Zero

#16 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

any thoughts on the Tb drives?

Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive

vs two 500Gb drives?
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm sure the performance of the TB drives is no different from the 500GB drives but TB drives are around 200 were as two 500GB drives are around 140.

#18 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

i take it then that upgrading the ram to DDR3 is't really worth it at the moment.

as for the rest thanks for the help guys.

Cheer's darc

P.s if anyone else has any comments or suggestions on this, who hasn't posted, i am happy to here them.
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 DarcnightelSF

DarcnightelSF

Suzy Q's

• SF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

sorry dbl post i know however im undecided as to whether or not to get RAID and which optical drives you think are really good.

i can use the standard stuff or is there something better??

also is it worth getting a physics card?

Darc out
Veni Vidi Vici

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Airwave|SF

Airwave|SF

God Save Queen Mum

• Elder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I would stick with the DDR2 you have chosen, as the nForce 680i boards seem to only support up DDR2.

If you already have an 18x DVD RW drive I would stick with that, even though you can now get 20x. There is also BluRay drives but that is one for the future.

Unless you heavily play a game which supports the use of a physics card I would not bother getting one as very few games support it.

Here is a list of the supported games and engines - http://www.ageia.com/physx/titles.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users